February 07, 2011

Ribbon Accent Skirt

So begins SKIRT WEEK!
I am excited to show you how to make some 
SUPER SIMPLE 
skirts!
Let's start off with the simplest first.

I call this the Ribbon Accent Skirt.
It is amazing how a little ribbon can make such a big difference.  
Gather your ribbon, I didn't buy any of this ribbon for this skirt,
I just happen to have all this pink ribbon about. 
But any combination of colors would be SO cute!
I think I am going to make a navy blue one, maybe a purple.....
maybe a yellow with white ribbon....

I'm getting distracted, as you can see... 
Your limits are your own imagination!  
Sew a simple rectangle skirt.
I cut out two 10"x 41" rectangles, and sewed them together. 
I hemmed the bottom and made a casing for the elastic on top.
I didn't add the elastic yet, because it will be a million times easier to sew in the ribbon,
without the elastic in.
Lay out the ribbon. 
This was my original plan on how I wanted the ribbon,
but I got lazy and simplified.  
Sew the ribbon on!
I have mentioned this before, but I will say it again. 
I am not a huge fan on straight pins. 
I don't like taking the time to use them, 
so when I sewed the ribbon on, 
I just went for it! 
And Hey! It turned out pretty straight!
I wouldn't take a ruler to it, but for a not stop 3 year old,
who will be wearing this, 
no one will notice! 
Add your elastic, and your done! 
I thought it needed a little extra something, 
so I made a little burned edge rose that I added on. 
SUPER SIMPLE,
right?

I want to see what you have made so head over to flikr
and add your pictures! 

2 comments:

Laurel {Make and Takes} said...

Such a cute skirt! Thanks for the tips. I'd love for you to submit this over at the M&T Spotlight: http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

Heather said...

This is adorable and seems easy. I'm going to give this a try along with your peasant blouse! I'm new to sewing so hopefully all goes well. :) Thanks for the awesome tuts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...